By Joanne L. Goodwin
Their reviews expected significant developments in post-World struggle II exertions historical past: the nationwide migration of staff in the course of and after the conflict, the starting to be share of girls within the hard work strength, balancing paintings with family members lifestyles, the unionization of carrier staff, and, mainly, the desegregation of the exertions strength via intercourse and race. those narratives convey ladies in Las Vegas resisting preassigned roles, seeing their paintings as an affidavit of ability, a degree of independence, and a success of wishes. total, those tales of girls who lived and labored in Las Vegas within the final half the 20th century display a lot in regards to the broader transitions for girls in the US among 1940 and 1990.
Read Online or Download Changing the Game: Women at Work in Las Vegas, 1940-1990 (Shepperson Series in Nevada History) PDF
Similar popular culture books
In learning fabric tradition, anthropologists and archaeologists use significant actual items from a tradition to assist comprehend the fewer tangible facets of that tradition, reminiscent of societal constitution, rituals, and values. What occurs while those gadgets are destroyed, via battle, typical catastrophe, or different old occasions?
Reading various fable movies published long ago decade, Pheasant-Kelly appears to be like at why those motion pictures are significant to present audiences. The imagery and subject matters reflecting 11th of September, millennial anxieties, and environmental mess ups have furthered fantasy's upward push to dominance as they enable audience to paintings via aggravating stories of those concerns.
In his most up-to-date e-book, Patrick Brantlinger probes the country of up to date the United States. Brantlinger takes objective at neoliberal economists, the Tea celebration circulate, gun tradition, immigration, waste worth, surplus humans, the conflict on terror, technological determinism, and globalization. An invigorating go back to vintage cultural experiences with its quandary for social justice and demanding situations to monetary orthodoxy, States of Emergency is a pleasant mixture of journalism, satire, and conception that addresses a few of the so much urgent problems with our time.
As an artist, David Bowie was once largely thought of a “chameleon,” laying off one character to create one other and therefore staying well known, suitable and compelling. in truth, Bowie was once in a position to paintings with the assets round him to create whatever new, inflicting many to work out him as a type of lone artist instead of a collaborator within the construction of his personal megastar.
- Prominent oder elitär? Gezüchtete "Stars" in der Mediengesellschaft: Medientheoretische Überlegungen zu „Deutschland sucht den Superstar“ und "Big Brother" (German Edition)
- Luxus oder Überlebenshelfer für Flüchtlinge? Das Smartphone als Konfliktpotenzial: Ein Problem unterschiedlicher Lebensstile? (German Edition)
- Kris Kristofferson: Country Highwayman (Tempo: A Rowman & Littlefield Music Series on Rock, Pop, and Culture)
- 101 Monumental New York City Events: An Overview of the historic events that changed the city, the country and the world.
- Swedish Cinema and the Sexual Revolution: Critical Essays
- Disability and Popular Culture: Focusing Passion, Creating Community and Expressing Defiance (Cultural Politics of Media and Popular Culture)
Additional resources for Changing the Game: Women at Work in Las Vegas, 1940-1990 (Shepperson Series in Nevada History)